Thursday, June 24, 2010

Smokey Step-by-Step

A few posts back, I featured some pictures on the way I do a smokey eye and got a request from a reader for a step-by-step on how I achieve the look.  I took a few shots over the weekend, and now have the utmost respect for bloggers who do the demo thing on every post.  It requires some work, but I think it's actually helped me perfect my technique!  So without further ado, to get to this:
You must do this: 
Start out by spreading a rich brown colored cream eyeshadow as your base.  I use Too Faced Lockdown in Dramarama.

Spread it evenly over the lid, but don't get too close to the brow bone.

Next, line your upper lash line with a rich black liner.  As always, my go-to is Make Up Forever's Aqua Eyes.


Next, take a brown grey powder shadow and pat it over your lid, blend it slightly into your crease.  I use Korres eyeshadows, which I think are being discontinued because they're on super sale on Sephora.com and KorresUSA.com.

Too add some depth and dimension to your lids, layer the brown grey shadow with a purple shadow.  (again, I use Korres for this).  The result should look something like this (color on my right eye is better blended):

Next, apply a Kohl liner to your lower lash & water line.  Dip a flat liner brush into the grey brown shadow, and blend it with the liner to create a smudged line under your lashes.  Here are the tools I use (hat snuck in there...it's not necessary to create this look :)


You can also use an actual smudging brush.  I've had some recent success with Sonia Kashuk's.


Don't be afraid to create a thicker lower lashline than you normally would -- smudge, smudge, smudge!  It's a key part of the smokey look!

Finish off with mascara & curl and you're good to go!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home